Competition

"Sian, except for 1 subject, you beat me to the rest of the others." My friend, JH, said glumly.

I was very surprised to hear this from him. He seems to be too easy-going to say something like that. This, he told me, when the last of our papers for common tests were returned to us. And yes, except for GP, i did do better for the rest. Though, i kind of took it to heart about his comments, i dismissed it.

Today, i heard this again, but not directly from him. (GOSH!) I had asked him whether he had started on his revisions for the lecture test tomorrow and the guy beside him said "He already finished 1 big chapter." I looked at JH questioningly. He only replied, " You can test me."

AND the same HELPFUL guy beside him added that JH was still very pissed he lost to me. I really didnt bother hiding my irritation from him this time and told him to stop trying to compare with me everytime we had a test or something.

I really HATE it when people, though subtly, competes with me. Like that time when i walked into a friend's class to wait for her after her lesson ended. This guy, J, whom i'm not very closely acquainted with, questioned me on my common tests results. I didnt even try answering his questions which goes like this,

"Got any As?"

"Pass all subjects?"

"So its borderline passes huh?"
In my mind, i was all, 'kns -.-" ( Sorry for the word.) I grabbed my friend and bolted out of there.

According to my friend, whose class i had went into, J had done pretty well. And yesterday after that A level Practical assessment, he came up to me and asked how was it and all. And, no it was not out of concern. So i guess there's this secret competition going on between me and him. Sigh...

The same goes for my classmates. I really doubted when people told me how competitive it is in JC but now i had to believe them. This classmate was so afraid to tell me that she's having a consultation with a teacher, as if i would totally hogged the teacher to myself. I mean, cant we all learn together? As my class mentor put it, "We are all responsible for each other's learning." Exactly!

Sadly, not everyone felt the same way. I know there will always be competition, in fact, we are competing against one another for places in universities. I think i really should learn to cope with it and not shun away from it. =(

Signing off,
Jo

0 comments:

Design by Blogger Templates